Friday, July 31, 2009

Someone's Been Sleeping in My Bed


Goldilocks lay down in the first bed, but it was too hard. Then she lay in the second bed, but it was too soft. Then she lay down in the third bed and it was just right. Goldilocks fell asleep.
Goldilocks and I have a few things in common. We're both suckers for really good porridge, and neither of us finds the perfect bed on the first--or even the second--try. Unfortunately, Goldie has had far more success than I have. I'm now onto hating bed number 3. Sick.
When I was single, I tried to buy as many expensive,useful items as I could for two reasons: I wanted to enjoy what there was to enjoy about being single (buying whatever I felt like I wanted or needed without anyone to answer to), and I figured I could buy some of the things I knew I would need if I were to get married ahead of time. So, I bought a bed. I shopped around. I asked for advice. I made what I thought was a great purchase. I bought a down comforter to go over it. I even, for the first time in my life, bought decorative pillows! I really had a great bed. I was so proud of my purchase when the time came that I did get married.
"No need to worry, I already have a queen sized bed--and a very large, framed picture. I did it all for you, honey."
First casualty: down comforter. Allergies. At least I had a wonderful plush bed, right?
Well, soon after we moved into our apartment, Mike and I realized that my wondrous bed was bringing us closer as a couple--only not in the way anyone wants to be brought closer. We were tacoed right into the middle of the bed. For one person, that bed was luxury. For two of us, it was a nightly torture device. I woke up several times every night, and Mike woke up in the morning with a back ache.
So, my brilliant planned was foiled, and we headed for Costco. Mike accuses/teases me of being a part of the Costco religion, and I think he is partially right. I preach Costco to anyone interested. I love it. I knew that we could get a mattress there, and if we didn't like it, we could take it back, no questions asked. So, we got a mattress with "memory foam". I thought Costco had performed another miracle. We were finally going to be lying in pure comfort, sleeping through the night every night.
That bliss lasted about a week. My heart sank...along with my hips and rear. That memory foam pulled my heaviest parts right down into it, and I felt like I was in a hammock. That may sound like a luxury to some, but I'm a stomach sleeper. I know that's a horrible way to sleep, but I can't seem to kick the habit. Now, picture a stomach sleeper on a hammock. There you go. Not only was I uncomfortable, Mike likes a good, firm bed, and we were practically buried in foam with the Costco mattress.
Six months of this went by. Finally, on one of my nights of insomnia, after reading online discussions about different mattress options, browsing mattress blogs (I know. Pretty amazing to have an entire blog devoted to mattresses), and forming incredibly educated opinions (at 2-3 a.m. mind you), I decided it was time to take Costco up on their return policy offer. We needed a new bed.
I went to a mattress store the next morning. I listened to the car-salesman worker, and I decided it was all too much for me to do alone. Later that night, Mike and I went to Sears to do a little sampling of our own without the pressure of a salesman. We tried out a few $1,300 beds. We liked them alright, but I still had this nagging fear that we would get it home and I would hate it. Who can afford a $1,300 bed, let alone a $1,300 mistake!?! Then, the worker told us there were some grimy floor models that were on clearance. We decided that sounded perfect. She laid the mattress on the floor, we did our 1o trial minutes lying on the bed, and we bought our $450 firm mattress. The price was right. We like a good discount. We were excited.
Last night was the first night of our new mattress. Mike was in pure heaven. He woke up practically whistling because he felt so good after a full night of sleep. He didn't seem to mind that every new breath crushed ribs and created bed sores on hips and shoulders. I was so glad to see that he had slept well, but it was hard to feel too much excitement--He woke me up when he left this morning. It was 7a.m. and I had finally fallen asleep...in the spare room...on the soft bed I bought while I was single. Papa bear's happy in his bed, and I'm still searching for just right.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Spoken like the princess and the pea we know and love.

Wendy said...

Oh Cassie!!! We are about to replace our own bed too, like in another couple of years... but having two people that like different kinds of "firmness" or softness makes it hard on a couple. What a great beginning to the story though....

Adam and Shari Crawford said...

I do hate a disturbance in my sleep.... we got lucky though and went with a King size, pillow top. LOVE IT ;) Have fun finding your match!

Sharon said...

This would be very funny if it weren't so frustrating! James and I testify that Temperpedic mattresses are the way to go. They are expensive but ah, blissful slumber. James has never slept as soundly and while for the 1st week, I woke wondering if he had taken a bat to my body during the night, I certainly love the mattress now. They are expensive but isn't the cost worth it to get both papa and mama bear back in the same bed contentedly snuggling and sawing logs?

Whitney said...

You have to tell me you when start posting after keeping the blog inactive for a year. Great story, but not so great when you are living it. Sometimes I worry because we would both sleep better in separate rooms in different beds. We don't, but we might sleep better. And I used to laugh/pity my grandparents who did that because I thought it was so sad. They are 50 years ahead of me. Who's laughing now?

Good luck finding a bed. Maybe you'll have to get one of those sleep number beds.