There were defined wrinkles under my eyes, and I think my skin may even have started to sag a little.
What happened to the days when I would go to the airport and be mistaken for an under-aged traveler who needed a chaperon? How about the times when, as a teacher, I would be stopped by a hall monitor who asked me where my hall pass was? (Now, the only time that happens is when someone just sees me from the back.) I started teaching when I was quite young, and I have gotten used to being the spring chicken. Now, I'm the seasoned, weathered teacher who may or may not attend to her frizzy hair every single morning. Who wants to be seasoned or weathered?
I told my 3rd graders on Friday that I was pretty sure it was them who have done this to me. This is my 9th group of kids. I explained that every time they're rotten little things, I start looking older and older. They, of course, thought it was a hilarious idea. I told them they had to be careful because my husband is 2 1/2 years younger than I am, and he doesn't want to wake up and realize he is married to an old woman. I showed them how frowning and being frustrated naturally aged me, and my pleasant face looked much fresher. So, we'll see if their guilt will lead to more happy faces, which would hopefully help slow the aging process.
In the mean time, I guess I just have to face the facts: it's all down hill from here. Those wrinkles under my eyes will soon give birth to new wrinklets, which will eventually invade the majority of my face. My skin really will start to sag, and I'm sure it will start retaining the shape of anything it presses against for ridiculously long periods of time. My mom always says her face just slowly lost its elasticity. I'm headed that way.
Part of me thinks that the few people who will read this will make comments like,"You really are still so young. You're only 29," or "You look so young! I don't know what you're worried about!" But I can't help but think that this time, they might just be consoling me for the little signs of age I'm just starting to show. I'm not old yet, but it's creeping up on me--more quickly than I'm ready for.
8 comments:
I bet your students will misbehave on purpose now.
I remember the horror I felt when I first realized I was starting to look old. But that horror was nothing compared to what I feel now that you've made me realize it's only downhill from here. I DON'T WANT TO LOOK LIKE AN OLD LADY! But I do want to be one because I think life in a resthome would be awesome.
Yes, I've realized that in my own self as well!! And of course, you do look young. (Had to sneak it in here)
But I do agree, I've noticed myself starting to age, and body aches and pains that seem to be a daily occurance anymore.
That's why I want to get a work out regimen going so the rest of my body will slow down the aging process. Or at least be better preserved!!
If you are looking old, I'm in big trouble. I bet your students misbehave on purpose too. My brother just turned 25 and showed me on his birthday how he's going gray at the temples. Aging isn't supposed to start yet, right? PS. Don't ever call yourself "weathered."
Cassie, I totally feel your pain. Now, for pictures, I try not to smile too much because then my crow's feet wrinkles show, and not too little, because then I just look depressed. Getting older stinks!
hey cassie! i found your blog through brad's. congrats on your marriage... i don't know how long you have been married. my mother never tells me anything. you and your hubby are so cute. loved the story about your bed. you need one of those old person beds where you can adjust the firmness on each side. not to mention oldness on your post about how you think you are turning into an old lady! ;) good to find ya! our blog is nateolsonfamily.blogspot.com. hope you don't mind if i subscribe to your blog.
Poor baby!!! Getting wrinkly? Don't stay in the tub so long. Not feeling sorry for the little puppy. You don't even look dry behind the ears yet. I'll show you some wrinkles.
I love the update! I'm only a couple of months younger than you, so don't make me look at my own mortality.... it might make me cry! (Especially since I am older than my husband too ;)
Cas, I know what you mean. I've all the sudden become obsessed with finding a good "firming" serum and am constantly looking at the anti-wrinkle creams. I haven't got the guts to buy any because then it mean I really am old!
Post a Comment